Monday, January 7, 2008

Hurray for Holidays

I love the holidays. I really do, but I DO feel like Christmas has been way over commercialized. On & on & on about BUYING everything & anything. How is anyone supposed to feel like they can even meet the expected goals of the media? I have not been a greatly religious person - espescially in the last 20 or so years - but Christmas is supposed to be the celebration of the birth of Christ. When did it get so far away from that? the 1950's maybe? I don't know.

I do know that I bought a pair of earrings for DD#1 - and "put them in a safe place" until Christmas. I turned the house upside down looking for those stinking earrings. Guess what? I never got them! They got lost inthe mail! I feel really stupid. Oh well, maybe they'll get here soon.

I quilted a quilt for a rather prolific Log Cabin Quilt maker. She's 86 +/-. I quilted this quilt for her - actually it was a comissioned quilt that she made for a customer - anyway I quilted this quilt in October. The quilt was done in browns/tans/brick red. I quilted it with an all over pantograph called "Autumn Oaks". Oak leaves & Acorns...It turned out SO nice that I decided that I wanted one EXACTLY like it for myself. So I run next door & buy the fabrics to do just that. But , as usual, i bought a little more than I really needed & decided that I would make 2 of them. Yes! 2 identical Log Cabin Quilts.

#1 - Log Cabin Quilts are a little boring, #2 making TWO identical log cabin quilts simultaneously is doubly boring. Once again - I do this....WHY? Well......seems everytime I make something that I realy like, someone wants one too. So there will be 2 this time! If I ever get done. I started them in October & now it's January & I am only just now getting in some sewing time to finish them.

There are 56 blocks in each quilt. I am on the last "light" round and I have determined that even though I purchased fabrics for 2, I don't have enough of this particular fabric to finish ALL the blocks. I can finish 56 but not 112. I got all the fabric for $4.95 per yard. Basically right at $100 for enough fabric for 2 quilt tops (tops only) But , I need at least a half yard to finish. the shop doesn't have any more. All sold out! Dang it! I found some on quiltshops.com / $8.98 per yard, minimum one yard! I had to get it, or I can't finish the tops. I just hope that it gets here quick so i can finish.

I want to finish because I am eager to start another project. There is always another, isn't there?

Had a bad scare with my favorite fat dog this week. Friday she started puking & then just laid down. Rolled her eys up in her head and started shuttering. It scared me to death. I had to get DH to help me load her into the car & rushed her to the vet. I was so afraid that she was going to die on my way there. She started moving around & waggin her tail when we got there. He took her vitals & said she appeared okay but that if she didn't start acting "herself" he'd do a blood work up. She seemed to be okay by the time we got home, was better Saturday & today you can't tell she'd even been under the weather. i cried & cried & cried. it's a wonder I could drive! It's going to be a bad, bad day , the day my favorite fat dog dies.....I hope whatever she ate or got bit by or WHATEVER does not happen again. i really hope that this isn't something that she'll KEEP having. I think it scared her as much as me! I am glad all is okay & she's back to normal. She still needs a bath. Badly.

Dh & I worked in the garage this past weekend. Got all the plywood up on the walls in his bay. We still lack getting it up the 2 feet from the ceiling down. It looks good. Next we start installing the vinyl on the soffits & the J'molding in preparation for the vinyl siding & then finish the inside. Once the inside is finished then i can get Black Beauty out of the box!! I can't wait. It will be nice to walk out the back door & go quilt.

More on another day! My pillow is calling!
Good Night
Sam

No comments: