Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mine Mine MINE ! Quilting for Me.

This weekend, I decided to make a list of things I wanted to accomplish. Not one item on the list was SLEEPING IN. Seems (recently) that sleeping in is a luxury & when I do sleep in, it's usually past 8:30 in the morning before I ever roust myslef out of bed & then it's 9:30 or 10:00 before I ever get moving & get something started. Needless to say, that is a terrible waste of valuable TIME. One item on my list was to paint the dining room. That is going to be another post later...but quilting my finished Ladyof The Lake / Belle Meade quilt WAS on the list. Here you see it half way done.




I am always excited when it's my very own quilt that is getting quilted. Oddly enough? It takes me FOREVER to pick out a quilting pattern. Why is that? And thread too. Takes me forever to decide on a color.

My good friend Mamie (whom I miss dearly) and I would always try to pick a contrasting thread, so that MAYBE the quilting of the pantograph could be seen. Well, on this quilt, I chose a red thread. Blood red. It's actually called STRAWBERRY but it was a deeper red than the cone of thread I had that said RED...so strawberry is what I went with. Same color red as the Thimbleberries border fabric. I have a cream colored backing & the red thread is glaringly bright! But on the FRONT of the quilt? Not so much..........Amazingly? You can barely see it. But there's a LOT going on in this quilt.

This is the pantograph that I am using. I knew ahead of time (experience maybe?) that the panto would not be seen on the front & since I was using red thread & the backing is cream, I wanted something really pretty that I COULD see on the back! This pantograph is called MARIPOSA and it is by Urban Elementz. It is a busy , detailed panto. The butterflies look a lot like flowers. That's why I like it!


Here is a shot of 3 more quilts of mine waiting to be quilted. From right to left: Ocean Waves (been finished since AUGUST !!!!) Second Hand Clothes, and last is a floral quilt that reminds me of a rug. (I don't like the floral quilt & after I quilt it, I am going to donate it to my guild. Someone will love it one day, but that person is not me)It really looks like ther are more than 3 quilts here, but I have 3 backings hanging up too.


Lastly - Here is a picute of my dog Bourbon. I had the radio cranked up & I was jamming to a bunch of rock, I could hear him snoring over the machine & the radio! He does this everytime! It's comical. I can't figure out what lying on his back accomplishes for him, but he does it all the time. Especially when I sew.


Talk to you all later!!

Sam

No comments: