Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Leaves

I finished these blocks a LONG time ago. Maybe finished them 2 years ago? I don't know. I put them into rows & sewed the rows together some time after Christmas. Just it just sat. I agonized over the borders. Finally picked something out of my stash. Last night I spread it out to get an idea how wide I wanted the borders to be. Decided I was going to do a 1" border in brown, then a 1" inner border in a cream shirting print & then 6" b outer border. But....As I laid it out? I realized just how BIG this quilt was! No borders needed. So much for not being a hurry. Or is that the other way around???? Who knows. the pattern was in an old McCall's Quilting magazine & I think I actually used a free template for the matching pillowcase! My template for every single one of these blocks was a cardboard cut out for the leaf & stem! They got pretty ragged by the time I finished 72 of them.. :)




Prince Charming has asked to have this quilt for himself. He's never done that. Ever. I have MADE quilts FOR him, but he's never specifically ASKED or claimed one I was just finishing. So? It's for him then! It will backed in a cream flannel & I just (Today February 19th, 2020) dropped it off at the long arm quilter's for quilting. I'm having it done custom. she always does a FANTASTIC job too. All my hand applique time was worth it.


I have 25 more paper pieced blocks to complete (& 10 side setting triangle blocks) to complete for my Raven's Wing Quilt. I INTEND to have it done to take when the Leaf Quilt is done. So? Give or take 6-8 weeks. Should be enough time! I hate deadlines, so I better not get too cocky.


Attaching a screen shot of the leaf quilt. Shown on a queen sized bed. The corner stones are a plain brown & the sashing strips are a nice dark green print. All the leaves have different backgrounds. I think I only did 3 of each color leaf. No 2 leaves, the same color, have the same back ground. I tried really hard to make it scrappy looking - I cut up a LOT of fat quarters!!


M

No comments: