Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Shopping Bags


Ok, so 6 years ago I bought a pattern. I fiddled with it because – being the sewer that I am – I didn’t  like her design. I felt that the bag was too small & didn’t really hold what a regular plastic bag did. No sense using something SMALLER – when I had bricitis in my shoulder 6 years ago, I used some smaller store bought bags – the cashiers complained. A LOT. So I modified the pattern & I have made many , many bags with it. I use like 7 or 8. I made my daughter 6, my sister-in-law 6 & a good friend overseas 6. Everybody likes them, nobody complains. But the bags are lined. They are super sturdy being lined, but I also use denim or duck cloth – so that’s where the sturdy comes in. Since they are lined they don’t dry very well. Nor do they lie flat when folded. Not a problem for me. I like using the reusable bags that I have made because they are easy on my hands & they NEVER break! I am continually asked if I make them to sell????? Being lined they take A LOT of fabric and a LOT of time. Neither of which makes for very much profit. So….I fiddled with my pattern – mine since there are so many modifications from the original that it’s not recognizable anymore! – and came up with an unlined version. Same size. Same handles. The bottom is folded & secured just like a store plastic bag. Still in denim or duck cloth – this pink is duck cloth I had left over from making my daughter’s bags. This came out better than I expected! Will I sell them? I don’t know. But they’re way easier to sew now! I have 17 cut out on my sewing room table!
 
M



Same size as a Publix plastic shopping bag.
 
the little loop on the top is for them to hang on their hook when loading the groceries

 






No comments: