Friday, April 17, 2015

Braids

I don't really need any new projects. But I started one anyway. Last month I was in Pigeon Forge at the quilt show. (Was there last year as well) We watched a demonstration on using an acrylic binding tool to make a Braid Quilt. Watched the same demo last year. (Are you seeing a trend here..?) I didn't buy the tool last year as I dont need a tool for binding. I figured those biases out all on my own. I'm smart like that. But? This year I bought one. Mainly because the lady doing the demonstration was using a jelly roll of Civil War Repro's. My favorites! Turns out I already had one of these gadgets anyway! Now I have 2. Yesterday I had already planned on going to a freinds house and sewing. The internet was down at work and I work in an online program & all my "work" comes to me via email. No internet? No work. Darn. So I left early & went to my freinds house. 2 of us were using 2.5 inch strips and cornerstones, the other was using 1.5" strips left over from a PP Pineapple she just finished. Here are our pictures from yesterday:
This first picture is MY braid. I am using pre-cut 2.5" jelly roll strips and 2.5" squares as my cornerstones. I feel confident that if you eliminated the cornerstones, that you could vary the width of your stips. Might try that one day - but seeing as I am really rotten at personal deadlines - I don't make them for myself & need to finish this quilt before I say what I'm doing on the "next one" !
MY braid again (above)
this one is being made with 1.5" strips - she didn't want to cut new strips, and used what she had on hand
This is Phillis (yes, I spelled that right!) and she is doing hers scrappy & intends for it to be a charity quilt. Both Phillis & i sewed on our Singer Featherweights. I had showed Philly a hand crank attachment for my Featherweight & then couldn't get it off! The machine won't fit in the case with the hand crank on. Took 2 of us to finally get it off. If you unscrew the CORRECT screw it comes off pretty easy. Who Knew???? Thanks For Stopping By! M PS - it occurred to me that you might want to SEE that little acrylic binding tool.........

1 comment:

Faythe said...

Oooo I like it..can't wait to see the finished project.